Re: '97 Dakota

From: Steve Lowe (Slow@Primenet.Com)
Date: Sat Apr 26 1997 - 11:30:04 EDT

On Sat, 26 Apr 1997 16:33:55 -0500, you wrote:

>I am very interested in the 97 Dodge Dakota and would like to hear from
>people who own it. Pros, cons, etc. I would like to purchase one by the end
>of the summer. I'm looking at the 4x4 club cab.

Chris,

        I picked mine up in January, and I ordered it. It is a very
nice truck. I love it and get many compliments on it. It four-wheels
well, and I think it will do better if I can find some rear-way bar
disconnects to let the axle travel like it should. I am adding to it
though, a K&N filter and a quick-disconnect mount winch are in the
works, as is the EVS II alarm and a few other goodies. I recently
installed the Mopar tow hooks and a bed mat, along with mud flaps and
step sheilds.
        It is somewhat of a gas hog though. I traded in a Nissan Truck
so I am sort-of biased when it comes to gas milage. I am thinking of
buying a commuter vehicle to drive to work and save the Dakota for the
weekends. It averages about 16 MPG and goes as high as 22-23 MPG on
the highway, if I keep it at 55MPH. (Hard to do!!)
        The ride is excellent. Even more so with the handling package
I ordered. It is almost comparable to the wife's Mustang in the
corners, and much better in the straights.
        It is a very nice truck, I would not trade it for anything,
even a Ram. It is the perfect size for my family and we have fun
four-wheeling in it. Got a trip up to Crown-King in the works next
month.
        Check my page for info on my truck,
http://www.primenet.com/~slow

It is always under construction, and I am almost ready to put up the
pictures I have.

        Good luck,

        Steve