Re: Load Range

From: rlr (rlr@bbt.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 1997 - 09:59:36 EDT

I was gonna reply directly to Frank, but figured there might be
some more general interest in the subject of load range. Even though
the vast majority of you seem to want to make sport trucks out of your
Dakotas, there are a few of us who actually do use ours as trucks.

Me:

> } [I can find LT tires with a C load rating locally, but no D-rated
> ) tires]

Frank Ball sez:

> LT215/75-15 Load Range D tires are scarce, but not impossible to find.
> Michelin makes the LTX M/S (an excellent rain tire) and the LTX A/T in
> this size/load range.

  I just checked out tirerack.com, and you're right. These tires
are scarce. I don't remember which type of Michelin came from the
factory (XCH?), but tirerack.com doesn't carry them.

  As far as LT215/75-15 D is concerned, I found the LTS M/S in this
type, but not the LTS A/T. Which is probably just as well, since I
do next to no off-road driving.

> The load range D tires are rated for 65 psi max.

  I usually run between 60-65 psi in my tires, mainly for mileage
and roadfeel reasons. There's nothing I hate more than gooey
tires on the highway.

> If you will settle for load range C there are several more options

  I admit that the D rating is probably overkill in my case, and I'll
have to reassess my load requirements when I make the final decision.
But it was a great feeling to dump a load of rock in the Dakota and
not have to worry about the tires or suspension.

  Thanks for the info,

  Ron