Re: Transmission problems

From: mahoneyr@syr.lmco.com
Date: Tue Apr 29 1997 - 12:00:49 EDT

> Has anyone had any problems with a cold engine & transmission? When I =
> leave in the morning I back down a 30 yard driveway into the street. =
> When I put the truck in drive it doesn't lock into gear until I hit the =
> gas, then it locks in at about 1000 RPM. That creates a jurk that =
> doesn't bother me much; however, I don't think it is near right. If I =
> back in at night it doesn't do it. Also, the transmission is really =
> sensitive to shifting RPM. It downshifts and upshifts at times it =
> doesn't normally do it. When I day a cold engine I mean about 55 =
> degrees (the normal southern morning). It doesn't help if I pull it =
> down in first or second.
>
> Rickey
> 97 CC SLT+ V-8 Auto 3.55SG Handling Package K&N

Some Slight Experience in this area:
I had a '90 4x4 3.9L A500 automatic tranny and I have had some shifting
probs. I never had the tranny slow to engage and never with a _thunk_, but
I did have problems with the Shifting points. One of the responses I
received from this list in request for help, was to check the Tranny fluid.
Low Fluid level or FOAMY fluid can cause the shifting characteristics to
be screwy. I had lots of things changed to fix the problem, before it just
went away (not coincident with any R and R) . But the Fluid was the easiest
and Cheapest item to rule out. I realize you have a '97 and the fluid level
is probably okay, but I'm hopin you can get out of this one cheaply.
Hope it helps...
rICK
'90 4x4 3.9L Auto(A500)
check this out first