Re: Dual out the back setup (no muffler?)

From: Scott Vieth (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 1997 - 04:08:14 EDT

Keith:

> My local muffler shop said they would put a dual out the back system on my
> 97 for about $250. What they usually do is to attach a 'Y' after the cat
> and fab the rest, NO muffler of any kind! He said sometimes people come
> back saying it's too loud and they a straight through glasspack. Has
> anyone run their truck right out the back from the cat? Wouldn't this be
> too loud? I'm thinking of going with the glasspack right away. Anything I
> should be aware of with a setup like this??

Yeah, I raced a guy with a 93 or 94 Dakota with V8 that was running
only pipe back from the cat, no muffler at all. It sounded like crap
when he stepped on it. My Gibson setup sounds a lot better.

I spanked the guy pretty good at one light and we ended up next to
each other at the next light. After hearing his truck wail and moan,
all I could think was "Great, every cop in a one-mile radius is going
to hear it when we take off and *I'm* going to be the one getting the
ticket."

How did I know he was running no muffler? He rolled down his
passenger window and yelled "You should take off your muffler and run
straight pipe!" Yeah, whatever.

I spanked him twice with the factory exhaust in place on my truck.
I'd never run without a muffler on the street. It just like painting
"give me a ticket" on the side of your truck. :^)

my two cents....

=Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv
'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd, Gibson cat-back, FIPK-clone