Re: Re[2]: No Muffler

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 1997 - 15:42:04 EDT

----------
> From: Sean P Meldrum <Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Re[2]: No Muffler
> Date: Wednesday, April 30, 1997 10:50 AM
>
> If you really want the subtle rumble than go Scott's route. That's
> what the Gibson system is all about. They tailor the system to work

> in a truck's powerband. I know Gibson was working on a split rear
> exit system for 4x4 '97s. It wouldn't be much more than the $250
> you're gonna spend this weekend and I'd bet it would be closer to
what
> you're lookin' for. I don't have Gibson's number handy but I'm sure

> Scott could come up with it.

        Just curious, but did you listen to my WAV files on the Dakota page?
That setup is a 3" CAT back with a stainless ULTRA FLO muffler (Walker)...

You will get the 'popping' noise with any CAT back setup... The recording
makes it sound worse that it really is (the popping). I am in the midst of
recording
the exhaust with my headers in now... MUCH better, plus the noise level is
basically the same, just more 'tune'.

Inside the cab, running between 1800-2400 rpm cruising you have a
distinct drone from the exhaust, which can be heard with the windows
up...Turn
up the radio a little, and you can't even hear it. Outside, the exhaust
note has
turned quite a few heads... Just the other day I was getting gas at the
local
Texaco, and a guy in a RAM Indy pulled up... He wouldn't give me the time
of
day when I asked him about his truck... When I started up to leave, he
quit
checking his oil, and came over to ask "Hey, what do you have in that, it
sounds
great..." I eventually stopped, popped the hood, and the conversation
started
from there...

Oh yeah, I just got back from a 206 mile round-trip from San Diego-LA-San
Diego,
and used 11.9 gallons = 17.3 MPG (running 70-71 mph on cruise / 2450 RPM)
All with K&N FIPK, DT Headers, 3" CAT back exhaust, and MP SBEC computer
burning 92 Octane (and passed smog cleaner than a stock truck!)

        ..Sam '95 SLT