Re[2]: No Muffler

From: Sean P Meldrum (Sean_P_Meldrum@Auto.ittind.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 1997 - 13:50:38 EDT

     If you really want the subtle rumble than go Scott's route. That's
     what the Gibson system is all about. They tailor the system to work
     in a truck's powerband. I know Gibson was working on a split rear
     exit system for 4x4 '97s. It wouldn't be much more than the $250
     you're gonna spend this weekend and I'd bet it would be closer to what
     you're lookin' for. I don't have Gibson's number handy but I'm sure
     Scott could come up with it.

     *********************97 Dakota Sport************************
     * *
     * sean meldrum Email: sean_p_meldrum@auto.ittind.com *
     * *
     * Black, reg. cab, 2wd, 318, 5spd, 3.55 SG, FIPK clone, *
     * MSD 6A and Blaster coil awaiting installation. *
     * *

My point is I am afraid that is will sound like shit too. The shop told me
only one person has come back because his wife said it was too loud. I
really want some kind of high flow muffler that tones it down as I don't
want the noise either, just didn't know what other people have tried. I
like my truck fairly quiet, but would love a subtle rumble... I agree with
Sean that the glasspack would burn out in short order, but they were going
to throw that in for free anyway. The pipes will be either 2" or maybe 2
1/4" at max with the larger chrome tips showing. I'm aware of the lack of
back pressure problem and may just request the 2" pipes. I do plan on a
FIPK clone very soon as well. I just wanted to see what the exhaust
upgrade would do by itself..