Re: High RPM's etc.

From: jbmisner@mtu.edu
Date: Mon May 05 1997 - 11:13:45 EDT

Ned Vogler wrote:

> I got 'er up to about 110 in 3rd gear. I had to let off for it to

  shift
> into 4th and when I did let off, I was at 105. I was still

>110 in 3rd gear? I'm no expert, but how healthy is this for the
>tranny. I redline at about 85 in 3rd gear with the 3.21 gears.
  How
>high of rpms is actually safe. I have heard you guys talking about

>shifting at 5500 and 5700. That is way into the red. This may be
>stupid question, but it is a legit one. Thanks.
>Ryan

  Ryan has a good point here... the same article in this months Mopar
  Muscle which talks about Intake mods... lists two problems with
  Magnum
  engines... one is the intake manifold gasket which has a tendency to
  blow
  out, and the other is the heavy lifters the Magnum engines use. The

  magazine mentions that high RPMs can be extremely detrimental to
  your
  engine... I forget the RPM numbers, but anywhere past 5500 can
  result in
  the lifters cracking the lifter bore, which will lead to the entire
  valvetrain self-destructing... I know I like to get good
  performance out
  of my truck, but not at the cost of major engine repair (even if it
  would
  be warranty)! I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan on
  keeping
  my truck *RUNNING* for a few more years!!

  Ciao!

  Ned Vogler
  (nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
  '96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
  Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone
  MSD Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI soon!

My truck redlines (on the tach) at 4700, however according to everything

I've seen, It's supposed to redline at 5250. When I was at 110, I
didn't
get a good view of the tach, but I guestimate I was at about 5200. I
don't
know if my truck has a rev limiter or not, but I have the stock
computer. I figured that it would stop me from being stupid; but you're
right, it wasn't
the healthiest thing to do. I was curious, and I don't ever plan on
doing it
again (I couldn't afford the ticket if I got caught), nor the chances of
other (worse)
situations that can happen when you're barreling down I-75 at 110.
The thing I don't understand is why it wouldn't shift into 4th. I had
it in overdrive, so I figured it would shift, but the only reason I let
off the gas was because I was concerned about my 8 friends under the
hood.

Oh well, I'll stick to what I like, accelerating as fast as I can. Not
only is it safer and more legal, but I never get the engine spinning
that fast when I hammer it.

Jeff
'97 CC, Sport, 5.2, 3.55, auto, 2wd

(BTW If this screws up or something, it's because I'm using a new email
program. my other one puked yesterday)