dakota speed runs

From: Frank Ball (frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com)
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 02:41:54 EDT

} > I was curious a while ago, so I tried it on my '97 CC, 5.2L, 3.55, 2wd and
} > I got 'er up to about 110 in 3rd gear. I had to let off for it to shift
} > into 4th and when I did let off, I was at 105. I was still
} > accelerating, but I didn't feel like going any faster (I think that I
} > could probably hit 115).
}
} 110 in 3rd gear? I'm no expert, but how healthy is this for the
} tranny. I redline at about 85 in 3rd gear with the 3.21 gears. How
} high of rpms is actually safe. I have heard you guys talking about
} shifting at 5500 and 5700. That is way into the red. This may be a
} stupid question, but it is a legit one. Thanks.

I think 110 in 3rd was with an automatic. With my 5 speed (3.55 rear
and 215/75 tires) redline in fourth was about 105 mph. I didn't try 5th
as I don't think 5th gear is made for this type of use. 105 is plenty
fast enough. With an auto and 3.55 gears 110 in 3rd would only be 5000
rpm.

} Ryan has a good point here... the same article in this months Mopar
} Muscle which talks about Intake mods... lists two problems with Magnum
} engines... one is the intake manifold gasket which has a tendency to blow
} out, and the other is the heavy lifters the Magnum engines use. The
} magazine mentions that high RPMs can be extremely detrimental to your
} engine... I forget the RPM numbers, but anywhere past 5500 can result in
} the lifters cracking the lifter bore, which will lead to the entire
} valvetrain self-destructing... I know I like to get good performance out
} of my truck, but not at the cost of major engine repair (even if it would
} be warranty)! I don't know about the rest of you, but I plan on keeping
} my truck *RUNNING* for a few more years!!

When I drove a friends truck with an auto I was really surprised that it
would run upto about 5300 rpm in first before shifting. That isn't much
margin if they have serious problems at 5500 rpm.

Frank Ball 1UR-M frankb@sr.hp.com (707) 794-4168 work
Hewlett Packard (707) 794-3038 fax (707) 538-3693 home
1212 Valley House Drive Kawi KDX200, Yamaha XT350 YZF600R Seca 750
Rohnert Park CA 94928-4999 '95 Dakota SLT Club Cab V8 5-Speed 2WD