RE: dakota 6-speed

From: Bob Tufts (rbt@frontiernet.net)
Date: Fri May 09 1997 - 00:42:02 EDT

From: Scott Vieth[SMTP:scottv@msn.fullfeed.com]

There is also the issue of CAGS (Computer Assisted Gear Selector).
The General designed the Z/28 to shift from 1st to 4th when you're
really getting on it. A handy solenoid locks out 2nd and 3rd gear.
This is meant to reduce noice, I believe.

If the above is true it is a 180 departure from the 6 speed as first offered on the Vette.
You have to nail it to get the ability to use all the gears.( With light throttle load you
skip 2-3 as you don't need them in theory "lugging it"). Lots of owners have made a mod
to defeat this lockout so they don't bog if they have rpms just a hair too low.

It had nothing to do with noise, but gave the car better gas milage under light throttle use
on the dyno and got GM a better EPA rating. (In the real world I don't think anyone would drive
this car this way and 6 sp makes sense).

One other thing: the reason that my truck gets such crappy mileage
is becuase I ordered four-wheel-drive. I'll always get worse milage
with those extra parts turning and producing drag. A six-speed won't
help that much.

Admittedly 4WD makes things worse, particularly because the Dak doesn't have
free wheeling hubs (but if you want shift on the fly- that's the tradeoff).
Apples to apples, a good driver is gonna do better gas wise with a standard 5 speed
to the auto 4. Just monitoring reports from this group seems to bear this out (by
enough that it makes my decision clear to go for 5 speed). While I want more power
when I need it (5.2 insted of 3.9) I'm not concerned with the drag racer mindset of
never blowing a shift. My current truck (not much longer) is a Nissan King Cab V6 4X4 5 sp.
with about 200k miles. I get mid 20's for gas mileage (hwy) in 2WD free wheeling, but at 145 hp
it is seriously lacking to use as a tow vehicle (solo performance is tolerable because it's about
500 lbs lighter than Dak, but forget towing). Worse case in the winter 4WD is about 16 mpg.

For the miles I drive, I prefer to be able to get about 20 mpg hwy (std) than 13-15 mpg w an auto.
I gotta have 4WD to get to the top of a big, long hill in the winter and just where I go in
winter (W. NY ---> VT on weekends). I realize this is a diverse group when it comes to how
they order their Dak, but I feel the 5 speed 5.2 is the best way to go in my particular case.

-Bob T.