Re: dakota 6-speed

From: Carl Vidos (cvidos@io.com)
Date: Fri May 09 1997 - 11:58:19 EDT

> There is also the issue of CAGS (Computer Assisted Gear Selector).
> The General designed the Z/28 to shift from 1st to 4th when you're
> really getting on it. A handy solenoid locks out 2nd and 3rd gear.
> This is meant to reduce noice, I believe.

Um, no. CAGS was designed to prevent the gas guzzler tax. It comes
into play when:
        you're in 1st gear (of course) and
        you're at 35% throttle or less
        and you're between 15 and 21 mph and
        engine coolant temperature is greater than 171 F (77 C)
This will energize the skip-shift solenoid and force a 1st to 4th shift,
and presumably, save gas. What is really does is force you to lead-foot
around town like a speed junkie! :)

It really has nothing to do with noise, and is VERY easily defeatable,
even with OBDII cars. This is the very first mod I did to my car. Uncle
Sam can bite me...

Dakota content: I spanked one on the way to work this morning! Just
kidding :)

   Carl Vidos * cvidos@io.com * http://www.io.com/~cvidos
    1995 Firebird that's STILL too damn slow, 13.78@103.97