Re: Wind resistance; was: High Rpm's etc.

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Tue May 13 1997 - 10:01:04 EDT

I did a 3 day back and forth commute to San Bernadino
from San Diego, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Each time I would leave about 4:30 am, and arrive
about 6:15-6:30 (stop for coffee, get gas, etc.)

Sunday I was seriously late (left @ 5:15 am) and
wanted to 'get there'. The previous days I drove
a constant 75-80 mph as traffic was light, and most
people were passing me!

Sunday morning I got a clear stretch of maybe
5 miles of highway (4 lanes, straight, and just
prior to Sunrise). I was cruising at about 90, turning
3200 rpm in 5th... I went WOT and let up at
4600 rpm indicated... I don't know what my speed
was, but it was a quick 5 miles... I have no doubt
that I could got faster, and pull 5th up to redline...
(5200 rpm is my 'safe' redline)... Again, there
were no cars around, so I felt it was as safe
as it was going to get... Then 2 minutes later
after I dropped back to 80 I got passed by two
cars (a 300ZX (?turbo?) and a M3...) I gave chase
once I realized what they were... I again topped
4600 rpm and was only 5-8 cars lengths behind them
then I quit...

Anyone know how to figure what 4600 equals???

        ..Sam '95 SLT