Re: Teaching old trucks new tricks.

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 15:47:18 EDT

----------
> From: Jon Steiger <steiger@ait.fredonia.edu>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: Teaching old trucks new tricks.
> Date: Wednesday, May 14, 1997 12:20 PM
>

> I've got a question regarding vehicle age and modifications...
>
> I picked up my truck in October of '95, and I just passed the
> 30,000 mark. :P I suspect I'm feeling the same way a person does
> as they pass their 40th, 50th, etc. birthdays. :)
>
> I had this vision of this great truck I was going to build, and here
> I am driving a stock truck at 30,000 miles! I realize that there are
> others on this list with high miles and no problems, but I'm feeling
> the pressure to "do something before its too late". :) Maybe I'm going
> through a mid-truck crisis? ;)
>
> Hypothetically, lets say I add an ignition, (coil, wires, blablabla),
> computer, headers, exaust, K&N (or clone), TBI, etc. Can I expect
> to sacrifice some reliability for the extra power? Am I going to shorten
> my engine's life? Can I expect to get to 100,000 miles after
> "gettin' on it" every day with these mods? Will the engine "get tired"
> as it gets older and slowly lose performance? (Either with or without
mods)
> I was thinking of getting one of the newer body styles down the road, but

> if I put a lot of work into my current truck I may very well like it
> so much that I won't want to get a new one, and I'll end up keeping it
> for 10 years or maybe longer... (Which would definitely be less painful
> for my wallet) ;) I couldn't afford to get a new truck for a quite a
> while anyway, so I want to go ahead and start building toward my
> unobtainable "dream truck".
>
> I guess what I'm asking is, is there anything to watch out for
> when upgrading? What are the long term effects?
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> -Jon-

        In general if you truck is in GOOD mech. condition, and you
did all of the maint. items during the first 30,000 miles, then you
shouldn't
have a problem.

        I am 500 miles from 60000... And have run the MP SBEC, K&N, and
3" CAT back since 28000 miles.... The headers only have about 5500 miles
on them now.... I have kept all mileage logs since mile 000125, and my
mileage
has actually gone up...

        ...Sam '95 SLT