Teaching old trucks new tricks.

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 15:20:17 EDT

   I've got a question regarding vehicle age and modifications...

  I picked up my truck in October of '95, and I just passed the
30,000 mark. :P I suspect I'm feeling the same way a person does
as they pass their 40th, 50th, etc. birthdays. :)

   I had this vision of this great truck I was going to build, and here
I am driving a stock truck at 30,000 miles! I realize that there are
others on this list with high miles and no problems, but I'm feeling
the pressure to "do something before its too late". :) Maybe I'm going
through a mid-truck crisis? ;)

   Hypothetically, lets say I add an ignition, (coil, wires, blablabla),
computer, headers, exaust, K&N (or clone), TBI, etc. Can I expect
to sacrifice some reliability for the extra power? Am I going to shorten
my engine's life? Can I expect to get to 100,000 miles after
"gettin' on it" every day with these mods? Will the engine "get tired"
as it gets older and slowly lose performance? (Either with or without mods)
I was thinking of getting one of the newer body styles down the road, but
if I put a lot of work into my current truck I may very well like it
so much that I won't want to get a new one, and I'll end up keeping it
for 10 years or maybe longer... (Which would definitely be less painful
for my wallet) ;) I couldn't afford to get a new truck for a quite a
while anyway, so I want to go ahead and start building toward my
unobtainable "dream truck".

   I guess what I'm asking is, is there anything to watch out for
when upgrading? What are the long term effects?

   Thanks!!!

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.