Re: Jiffy Lube

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Wed May 14 1997 - 15:00:35 EDT

<snip>

>Then I started thinking about it a little more, and realized that they
figure out
>something extra that I need to have done every time I go in there. I don't
>remember that the owner's manual says anything about getting the fuel
>injectors cleaned. Besides, I thought that Chevron gas I insist on getting
>had injector cleaner in it.

I spoke with one of the Chevron techies in Vancouver. Techron is their
cleaner. Higher the octane, the more techron is added to the fuel. As I
use nothing but Chevron gas (89 octane), he recommended adding a bottle of
Techron additive ($9.00) about once per year, just in case.

I spoke with my local CC dealer, he suggested a bottle of CC's injector
cleaner a couple of time per year. I figure, since it's under warranty, I
would add the CC cleaner (and keep the bill) at every service (4,000 miles).

You didn't say if cleaning the injectors made your truck run better ... it
should have, if it was needed.

>So, now I'm wondering if I have the word "SUCKER" tattooed on my
>forehead in a color that only they can see. Anyone out there have an
>opinion on this? Does it really help to have the injectors cleaned, or did I
>just get screwed?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Jason

Just so you don't feel too bad, my mechanic talked me into having the TBI
cleaned ($55) on my wife's Sundance several years ago and it made
absolutely no difference. However, I do add injector cleaner periodically.
They also keep trying to sell me an expensive cleaning process called
'Enginewity', which I regularly decline.

I know my mechanic is honest, I think they fall for the sales pitch from
the distributors (ie. Slick 50) and really believe that these extra
products help.

I firmly believe that using a good grade of gasoline and regular oil
changes are the secret to engine longevity.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia
Canada