Re: Jiffy Lube/injector cleaning

From: Robert P. Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 09:35:42 EDT

At 11:19 AM 5/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>> When I used to work for Firestone, we often did injector cleanings using
>> a pressurized can of injector cleaner.
>
>> I can remember quite a few cars that made tremendous performance
>> gains.
>
> Are these cans available through the typical local parts house?
>I haven't seen them around, but then again I haven't been looking
>for them either. This means of cleaning injectors makes a lot
>more sense to me than paying some goober at the dealer or Jiffy
>Lube.
>
> Ron

Ron:

I saw a demonstration of this technique on a V6 CC mini-van on 'Shadetree
Mechanic'. It looked pretty straight forward. Just needed to disable the
electric fuel pump and connect the fluid can into the fuel rail (which had
a fitting). Van ran on the stuff for about 5 min. and presto, injectors
were cleaned.

They indicated that the product was available at the local parts store, but
it wasn't cheap.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, British Columbia