Re: DAK, rims

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Thu May 15 1997 - 12:47:13 EDT

----------
> From: Frank Ball <frankb@cougar.sr.hp.com>
> To: dakota@ait.fredonia.edu
> Subject: DAK, rims
> Date: Thursday, May 15, 1997 09:19 AM
>

> Has anybody put '97 Dakota rims on a earlier model Dakota? I know a
> couple of you have acquired some with the intention to do so.
>
> Pre-'97 rims have 5" backspacing. '97 rims have 5.5" backspacing. Well
> looked under my '95 2WD Dakota and the clearance between the upper
control
> arm and the wheel is pretty tight, not much more than .5", but it is hard
> to measure exactly. So I stopped by the dealer and looked under a '97
2WD
> with the 8" rims. Sure enough they changed the upper control arm to
> increase the clearance. The '97 also has about .5" of clearance. They
> removed the portion of the control arm that protrudes out past the upper
> ball joint. The ball joint now hangs off the end of the control arm
> instead of the control arm wrapping around the ball joint.
>
> So my question is do the '97 rims really fit on pre-'97 Daks? I think
> they will clear by 1/8" at least, but I'd like to know for sure before
> purchasing a set.

        I haven't had time to mess around with the 4 steel wheels I got,
but I measured them and they appear to be about the same. I plan on
working
on the truck (brakes, alignment, tires, etc.) in 2 weeks, so I'll
definitely let
everyone know how things 'fit'. I am putting 235-70-15 on my stock chrome
star wheels, and 255-60-15 on 2 rims for the rear...(for playing around)...

> Jiffy lube: I'm sure there are some stores that are honest, but in
> general the chain is known for incompetence and dishonesty. I wouldn't
> trust them with my truck in either respect. There most common rip-off is
> to show you a unbelievably dirty air filter element and claim it is yours
> and tell you you need a new one. One person (out of many) who told me
> this tale had just installed a new air filter the night before. I hadn't
> heard the engine clean out story before. Great scam, charge you to wreck
> your motor.
>
> Frank

        Funniest thing about the dealership I had problems with in the past...
I show up now with the K&N FIPK, headers, and the exhaust system, and
3-4 guys pour over the truck to check it out and admire it... Then when
the
work is done on the truck (radiator flush, replaces all hoses, diagnose oil
leak)
they did a complete detail of the engine for me, and told me some things
that they recommend to service (but do it myself, and save money!)...Not
bad...

        I guess performance get performance!! :P (I know, bad joke...)

        Sam '95 SLT