Re: Gibson installed

From: Steve Lowe (Slow@Primenet.Com)
Date: Sun May 18 1997 - 02:48:22 EDT

On Sun, 18 May 1997 09:01:04 -0400, you wrote:

>Well, how does it sound, how well does it work, how bad did you have to
>beat-up the original system?

        It sounds great! It is not annoying at highway speeds and
really it only sounds louder if I get on it. At idle it is slightly
louder than stock, but barely noticeable.
        The stock system was a PITA. I jacked up the pass. rear only
and had plenty of room to knee under the truck. I found out I needed a
15MM deep socket so I had to go get that at the store. (For the
factory clamps) Then I soaked all the pipes and clamps with spray
lube, lots of it. My truck is only 5 months old so I can imagine what
it would be like if was really old. Then Scott told me a trick about
the rubber donut hangers, they are a pain. I found it easier to unbolt
their mounts and let them hang on the pipes until I got the pipe
separated. Needed two jack stands, one under the truck and one under
the factory muffler. Separating the factory pipes was the worst, they
just did not want to come off. I worked at them for over and hour, and
managed to get them off with out destroying them. I took the entire
factory system out over the axle, towards the front of the truck.
        Putting the new system was easy. I did have to re-bend one of
the Gibson hangers that was welded on the muffler due to it having a
bad angle and would not hold the donut mount.
        It sounds great, no loss in low end, and top end is much
improved. It turns a few heads, and a couple of guys have asked if it
stock.

        Steve