Re: Gibson installed

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 11:50:29 EDT

At 06:48 AM 5/18/97 GMT, Steve Lowe wrote:
>On Sun, 18 May 1997 09:01:04 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>Well, how does it sound, how well does it work, how bad did you have to
>>beat-up the original system?
>

> It sounds great! It is not annoying at highway speeds and
>really it only sounds louder if I get on it. At idle it is slightly
>louder than stock, but barely noticeable.
> The stock system was a PITA. I jacked up the pass. rear only
>and had plenty of room to knee under the truck. I found out I needed a
>15MM deep socket so I had to go get that at the store. (For the
>factory clamps) Then I soaked all the pipes and clamps with spray
>lube, lots of it. My truck is only 5 months old so I can imagine what
>it would be like if was really old. Then Scott told me a trick about
>the rubber donut hangers, they are a pain. I found it easier to unbolt
>their mounts and let them hang on the pipes until I got the pipe
>separated. Needed two jack stands, one under the truck and one under
>the factory muffler. Separating the factory pipes was the worst, they
>just did not want to come off. I worked at them for over and hour, and
>managed to get them off with out destroying them. I took the entire
>factory system out over the axle, towards the front of the truck.

  I just did my 30,000mi oil change, and while I was under the truck,
I took a look at my muffler. At first, I thought it was welded together,
because I didn't see any clamps, but I guess its just rusted together. :)

   According to my FSM, the muffler joints should be soaked in
"heat valve lubricant". I've seen references (like above) to spray lube.
Is that the same? When I hear "spray lube", I think WD-40, but I dunno
if that's cut out to to this job. :) What an ugly mess. :P I wish
I could afford a Borla stainless muffler. :) Well, I'm glad to hear
that the Gibson installs so easily, anyway.

   So, what is "heat valve lubricant", and where can I get some? (Or is
there something else that might work better?) Thanks!!

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.