FW: DRB & Swaybars

From: Ned Vogler (NVOGLER@rghosp.chime.org)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 14:03:00 EDT

>Has anyone mounted a rear sway bar on a 4x4 Dakota?

Yes, I have!

>Also - I have the tow package. Bet I'd need some REALLY thick bars
>in back to bend those springs! [Although the springs are progressive,
>so the first few inches might not be so bad...]

I've got the 3/4" Hellwig SportTech rear sway bar, and it definitely
helps body roll in cornering (esp. highway on ramps, etc.) It does make
the ride a bit stiffer, esp. on speed bumps, etc. The Hellwig is a
clamp-on model, and works quite well, but it does have a tendency to
shift under stress... I've had to adjust mine from time to time... If you
want to get a sway bar, I would recommend the Addco unit (7/8"?) which
bolts to the frame instead of clamping to it... Only reason I went with
the Hellwig was 'cause I got it for $40.00 from another DML member who
never installed it and was getting another one... can't beat the price...
:-)

>Where can you get urethane sway bar bushings? I checked with Energy
>Suspensions a while back - nope.

I know the Hellwig unit has the urethane (polyurethane) bushings... they
*NEED* to be greased, otherwise they *WILL* squeak... can't vouch for the
other models...

Ciao!

Ned Vogler
(nvogler@rghosp.chime.org)
'96 Dakota SLT V8 5-sp 4x4 Club Cab
Gibson 3" Catback Exhaust/MPI FIPK-clone
MSD Ignition & MPI Super Street TBI soon!
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/9636/