Re: Tires

From: JT McBride (James.McBride@GDEsystems.COM)
Date: Wed May 21 1997 - 11:20:46 EDT

>> What type of Michelins do you have? I think it will be time for a
>> switch from the Wranglers to something less suicidal in the rain!
>Got Michelin LTX M+S's and they work great in both rain and snow.
>Probably wouldn't be aggressive enough for deep mud though, but they make
>an AT version too.

I have a set of the LTX AT in 31x10.5-15 on the stock 6" rims. They look
mean, give me great ground clearance, but I got them after the rainy
season. It has rained once since, and they didn't slip at all, but then,
anything would grip better than the nearly-bald tires they replaced, and
I was probably driving a bit more cautiously than I needed to.

I think the Michelins have a bit more tread depth. They seem to rub at
full lock a bit more than the no-name brands they replaced (even when
those were new). The compound is harder too - tires chirp pretty easily.

The AT is a compromise between the LTX road tires, and the LTX M/S.
Basically a block pattern similar to the M/S (but tighter) and with
sipes in the blocks, which should help wet traction and tread life.

They better have decent tread life - they're quite an investment!

Jim
   @..@ ,Red @..@ Ale!
              ^^ ~~ ^^