Re: Drat!!!! (turkey damage on my '97)

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 12:26:00 EDT

*snip*
> With the Autos you don't have to beat the crap out of them just put it in
> and whoooop the tar out of them 5 Speeds, even if they don't miss a
shift, of
> course the auto has a higher tow rating only because they can take it.
Nope

        Actually, the 5 speed manual has a higher tow rating than the automatic
(at least '94-'96 Dakota, and ALL 5 speed RAM 2500- Cummins). My 5 speed
Dakota '95, 3.90, etc. etc. was rated to 6700# vs. 6500# for auto
(equipped with
3.90 gearing)... Later the '95, and all '96 models with 3.90 & 5 speed were
up-ed to
7100# towing... The autos were not...

> those 5 speed guys are just dreamers hoping they can hit enough gears to
try
> to keep up with a Auto some day. Hey some body has to buy them to keep
Johns
> stock prices up..
>
> Hey thanks for the post, love to get picked on...
>
> Bill

        One of the reasons the 5 speed towing cap. is higher, is the fact that
under hot temps & heavy loads, the 5 speed will run cooler as it doesn't
have
a transmission cooler up front to generate heat--which puts heat into the
radiator.
Secondly, the automatic transmission will shift, hunt, and slip...which
generates
a TON of heat, that the 5 speed does not experience. And finally, with a
wider
range of gears (5 vs. 3/4 OD), the 5 speed can handle the task of towing
various
grades/hills quicker, with less strain than an automatic can.

        Not knocking automatics, I had one before... Just explaining the main
differences... Heck, I miss being able to drive to work without spilling
my coffee!
I went with the 5 speed because of the towing advantages... And don't miss
the
auto one bit (except for coffee!)

        ...Sam '95 SLT