Re: Drat!!!! (turkey damage on my '97)

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 19:40:29 EDT

<< One of the reasons the 5 speed towing cap. is higher, is the fact that
 under hot temps & heavy loads, the 5 speed will run cooler as it doesn't
 have
 a transmission cooler up front to generate heat--which puts heat into the
 radiator.
 Secondly, the automatic transmission will shift, hunt, and slip...which
 generates
 a TON of heat, that the 5 speed does not experience. And finally, with a
 wider
 range of gears (5 vs. 3/4 OD), the 5 speed can handle the task of towing
 various
 grades/hills quicker, with less strain than an automatic can.

         Not knocking automatics, I had one before... Just explaining the main
 differences... Heck, I miss being able to drive to work without spilling
 my coffee!
 I went with the 5 speed because of the towing advantages... And don't miss
 the
 auto one bit (except for coffee!)

         ...Sam '95 SLT >>

Yowser, they sure must have changed their minds because when I went truck
hunting to tow my 35' travel trailer the Manual tranny stuff was like 2000 lb
less towing capacity, they told me due to the weak point of a clutch. Haven't
looked for a tow rig since my 93 Dak and No Manual in the Dak with V8 that
year to compare to but What towing I have done I would take a Auto with
Tranny cooler any day over a Manual especially when trying to park the darn
thing in a tight spot like my back yard where I always ended up at on Sunday
afternoon. I will have to admit that the best setup I ever had for towing the
Travel Trailer was a 79 cheby Suburban with the 400 small block and full time
4 WD. The full time 4WD had High, Low, High lock, Low lock. You could put it
in Low (not locked) and put that sucker any place on earth blacktop or grass
without binding up the drive line. It was not the best on gas mileage but a
super tow rig. I only towed the trailer a couple of times with the Dak but
had no problems however did lock out OD. The last 5 sp I had for trailer
towing might have well been a 4 sp as 5th was worthless.

Bill