knock at low throttle when warm

From: David Margrave (davidma@premier1.net)
Date: Mon May 26 1997 - 13:51:52 EDT

I have a '95 dakota with a 318 V-8. With about 50,000 miles on it, its
working fine. One minor irritation is that the engine knocks slightly
under the following conditions:

1) Engine warm, but vehicle not driven for a little while
2) Light throttle settings

It never has a problem from a cold start. I suspected the EGR valve and
replaced that. It definitely had an effect, this knock is slightly
worse now!

Is this something that you all would expect to improve as it goes
through a few cold-hot cycles and the computer "learns" about it?

One more thing I did not remove and clean out the EGR tube from the
exhaust manifold becuase the shop manual says to remove the oil
temperature sending unit to do this and I wasnt into making a huge
production out of it. I'm not sure why, maybe for easier access? But
I'll have a look at that if you all think it may be part of the problem.

It doesnt seem to care what kind of gas it gets as far as this problem
is concerned.

Thanks,

Dave Margrave