Re: attn: Dak owners with 180 degree thermostats.

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Tue May 27 1997 - 19:30:17 EDT

Robert Lee Cobb Jr. wrote:

> Guys, for those of you who have installed a 180 degree thermostat to
> help eliminate some detonation, do you now have the trouble code of
> "17" come up when you run the self-diagnostics check? I do. The
> truck seems to run fine and I'm getting great gas mileage. Should I
> worry about it? It still goes into overdrive just fine at the same
> engine temperature it always did before I threw the new thermostat
> in. Any thoughts from anybody??? Thanks.
>
> - Rob Cobb 93 V8 LE 2wd swb auto
> s0042745@cedarville.edu

Rob,
        I just recently put in a 180 and have had NO bad effects. My
detonation is still there but it is noticeably less severe. Without O/D
I have no detonation up to 110mph at WOT... (havn't gone past that,
could not pay the ticket :-) It also seemes to me that I have a
"little" more torque, not sure but at the worst it didn't hurt
performance any. My temp guage stays a hair above the first thin line
by "C". I idled mine for about 20 minutes with the ac on high in 80+
degree weather letting my girlfriend cool off while I helped my buddy
load his boat up and the guage almost made it to the half way mark. I
couldn't have done that with the stock tstat. Mileage hasn't suffered
either. Just got back from a 300mile mostly interstate trip and got
18.6mpg. Around town, heavy on the go pedal I usually get around 16mpg.

Code 17 is "engine running too cold" acording to my Haynes manual. Of
the few guys that have used a 180 on the list I have not heard of this
problem so I think it could be possible that your coolant temp sensor
might be off a bit and is seeing a colder temp. than what is there. Or,
your thermostat is stuck open??? Do you have an open element, or stock
air box? Since your gas mileage is ok I would guess that the computer
is going into open loop like it should (or is it closed loop when warm?
I forget..) I dont know, some ideas for ya, but a 180 should work...

One more thing you might try is to disconnect the bat and clear the code
and see if it comes back. I unplugged my air intake temp. sensor and
got a code. It would not clear until I diconnected and erased the
memory. It would probably have gone away after a while but it was
buggin me...

Hope this helps.

--
Michael Clark                    mike@snakebite.com