Re: dakota 5 speed vs. auto

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed May 28 1997 - 07:43:52 EDT

At 09:34 PM 5/27/97 -0800, Frank Ball wrote:
>} From: keith.wanderi@fsg.deluxe.com (Keith R Wanderi)
>}
>} I agree. I personally prefer an auto myself. I had a 5 speed in my other
>} new Dakota, an 88, and it was fine for highway driving and cruising. But
>} around town, it got to be where it seemed like all I was doing was
>} shifting. Twenty years ago this may have been fun, but no thanks, give me
>} my auto today.
>
>I thought about and automatic, but around here there are lots of steep
>10-15% grades that go for miles with tight switchback turns. The
>automatics offered had no way to select 2nd gear, only low or a overdrive
>lockout. 2nd is what you need for going up or down these hills with a
>load or a trailer.
[...]

  Yep; there's no way I'd give up the control I can only get with a stick.
I've also got a mild case of "I'll shift when I want to, not when some
computer tells me to, darnit!" itis. :)

>} No offence to the 5 speeders out there, but why is the auto an option and
>} not the other way around?
>
>They make more money, whey else? The 5-speed may be "standard", but I
>had to special order a V8 5-speed 2WD combo.

   Probably so. :) Also, the automatic is a relatively new convention
on automobiles... (Relative to the standard transmission, that is.) I
believe it was first introduced almost as a luxury item. Now, the vast
majority of cars are slushbox equipped, but old traditions die hard. :)

   I was kind of surprised when Keith said the auto was an option... When
I was at the Buffalo car show, the '97 Dakota's sticker led me to believe
that the auto was standard. (It was included in the vehicle description
at the top, not listed down on the bottom as an option.) I assumed that
someone getting a 5-speed would see a refund similar to a "radio delete"
down in the options.

   The way things are going though, soon the standard transmissions *will*
be optional, and we'll probably have to pay through the nose to get 'em.

  :(

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.