Muslecars, collectors items, and sales information

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed May 28 1997 - 08:05:59 EDT

   Is it just me, or are the Mopar muscle mags paying a lot more
attention to the Dakota? :)

  Someone made the analogy between the Dak and the old Mopar musclecars a
few years ago on this list. Right now, there are two magazines on
the stands that make the same analogy. (One even going so far as to
compare models. They said the Dakota would be the 'Cuda (and something
else, I forget which) of today. Anyway, its nice to see the publications
taking more interest in our truck. :)

    After thinking about these old musclecars, I got to thinking about
wether our Dakotas will ever be collectors items... Anything's
possible, I suppose. :) Did 'Cuda and Super Bee drivers know
that their brand-spankin new, dirt cheap daily drivers would be
in demand someday?

   Now, I'm not sure, but I think that some of us on this list probably
have some relatively rare trucks. For example, mine is a '96 Club Cab
V8 5-speed. You don't find these just sitting around on dealer's lots.
(I know, I tried!) :) I had to order it. Being a '96, were there less
produced because people were waiting for the new bodystyle? I have no idea;
and I guess that's the main purpose of my post. How does someone get these
types of statistics? For example, in the latest Mopar Action, there's
an article on a Hemi Super Bee that says it was one of nine Super Bees
that were produced with the 4-speed, making it pretty darn rare. :)
How do they know there were only 9 4-speeds? Is this information
publicly available? Is there a relatively hassle-free way of getting
ahold of this info? I'd like to see the stats on the Dakota to see
how "rare" my truck is, and if possible, to make the data available on
the web site. (I think that would be a great resource!)

    The collecter's item thing is probably stretching it a bit, especially
for many of us on this list who have (or plan to) modify our trucks and thus
ruin their "stock collectability", but I'd sure be interested to know how
many trucks like mine are running around...

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.