Re: New User

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sun Jun 01 1997 - 13:02:11 EDT

At 12:40 PM 6/1/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello fellow truck lovers.
>I joined your beloved list because I plan on making my largest $ vehicle
>purchase to date. Here's the lowdown on the make, model & options.
>
>1997 Dakota Sport(2WD Reg Cab)
>Exterior Colour(Canadian Spelling): Emerald Green Pearl
>Seats: Cloth Bench 40/20/40
>Engine:5.2L V8
>Trans 4SPD - AUTO ???????
>
>Optional Equipment
>==================
>
>Quick Order Package 26B
>Package Heavy Duty Service
>Floor Mats
>Trans 4SPD - AUTO ???????
>Engine 5.2L V8
>Window Rear Sliding
>Air Conditioning
>Fog Lamps
>Tires P235/75R - 15 OWL
>
>As you may have noticed, I cannot make up my mind as to a AUTO or 5SPD
>trans. I've read related postings in your archive and seem to be swaying
>for the stick now. The 4.01 1ST gear coupled with the 3.90 rear sounds
>scary in wet weather conditions. Any insight or comments relating to my
>purchase would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Terry

Welcome aboard Terry! Sounds like a nice truck. My '97 is also 2wd, Reg.
cab. In my opinion, ya can't beat the 5 spd. Although, if you decide to
go that route I would recommend the 3.55 rear and the Sure Grip. I really
had no bad experiences this past winter (took delivery Jan. 9) but you're
correct that if you're not used to a rear drive, torquey motor it could get
away from you. The 5spd. in the Dak is one of the nicer shifting sticks
I've driven. It took me a little while to get used to the longer throw but
that's only because I'm used to driving cars (first truck). I'd say go for
the stick with the 3.55. If you sway toward the auto, go for the 3.90 as
the auto first gear is much lower (numerically) than the stick's. Either
way.......opt for the Sure Grip....that 300 ft/lb can bark both mine
shiftin' into third so I imagine it'll use up one right rear pretty quick! 8^)

Either way yer gonna *love* the '97! Let us know when yer ready to start
modifying it! No shortage of suggestion from these guys!