Re: Stock Dakota Performance

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Mon Jun 02 1997 - 23:56:04 EDT

Terry Hebert wrote:

> Hello to all again.
>
> I've noticed that many members of this group are performance orientated
> and it seems to me that the Dakota is the Chrysler performance HOT ROD
> of the Nineties. With this in mind I'm interested in knowing what kind
> of performance numbers you've turned in bone-stock trim. That's right
> off the showroom floor. No performance SBEC or filter or exhaust,etc..
> Reason I ask is that I have a piece of software that's telling me with
> the inputs(data) I give it, 0-60= 7.8-8.0, 1/4= 15.9-16.2. Data [Reg Cab
> 2WD SWB,3650 lbs, 230 HP@4400, 300lb-ft@3200, 4-SPD AUTO, 3.90 GEARS,
> Driving technique = 900 RPM Powerbrake & 5200RPM Shifts.] I realize that
> atmospheric conditions and altitude will vary the results but I'm
> interested to know what your results were. What level of mods do you
> need to run with say a 275/285/305HP Camaro/Firebird, 215HP Mustang???

My 95 with identical specs except for a 5 speed turned 15.7s at the
Texas Motorplex when it was new. With less than $1500 in total mods, I
now run 14.70s @ 93.5mph. Having run the numbers like you, I figure I
have 2-4 tenths to be found in chassis/traction improvements without
further engine mods. I have done the following:

Exhaust: 2 1/2" pipe from manifolds into flowmaster Y pipe collector
into 3" high flow cat into flowmaster 3" Big Block muffler w 3"
tailpipe(Make sure you use aluminized pipe!)

MP SBEC
March Pulleys
Jacobs ignition(Ultra Team)
180 degree thermostat