Re: Meldrum filter

From: Mathew DePasquale (mat1@rochester.infi.net)
Date: Tue Jun 03 1997 - 23:28:14 EDT

OK guys. I'm a Computer Engineer so I'm not up on this mechie stuff.
Why
does an open-air filter give better flow than a 'regular' closed one? I
understand that the filter is completely open, but isn't the increase in
horsepower due to the *force* of air into the engine?

Like I said, I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for this. I
took the piece of plastic off of the air intake by the grill on my
3.9L engine. I notice a slight increas in HP. Using the open-air
filter
setup with a K&N, about how much HP increase did you notice?

Thanks... Mat