Re: Meldrum filter

From: Scott Vieth (scottv@msn.fullfeed.com)
Date: Wed Jun 04 1997 - 03:52:31 EDT

Mat:

> OK guys. I'm a Computer Engineer so I'm not up on this mechie stuff.
> Why
> does an open-air filter give better flow than a 'regular' closed one? I
> understand that the filter is completely open, but isn't the increase in
> horsepower due to the *force* of air into the engine?
>
> Like I said, I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation for this.

Here's a pretty simple analogy:

1. Put your hand over your mouth so that you're covering most of the opening.
Run full-blast for a hundred yards. How do you feel? How fast did you run?

2. Now take your hand away from your mouth. Run a hundred yards. How fast
did you run this time?

3. Have someone hook-up a hairdryer (but set it for cool air only) to your
mouth and plug it in so that it forces air into your lungs. Now run the 100
yards. How fast did you run this time?

The first instance is your truck with the stock airbox. The restriction of the
air filter and stock airbox keep the truck from getting as much air as it
should.

The second instance is a truck with a freer-flowing filter, like the K&N. It's
easier to drive fast when the truck can ingest more air.

The last instance is a supercharger or turbo. If you can *ram* the air into
your truck's intake, the engine will perform that much better.

How's that for a simple example? :^)

=Scott Vieth http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/~scottv
'68 Camaro RS, 327/PG
'97 Dakota Sport 4x4 Club Cab, Magnum V8/5-spd, Gibson cat-back, FIPK-clone