RE: Bed Protection

From: Jason Bleazard (drazaelb@xmission.com)
Date: Wed Jun 04 1997 - 09:22:44 EDT

On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Pat Buthmann wrote:
> Basically, it comes down to two things. Preference, and price. I
> prefer the spray in deals, but at twice the price of a factory
> box-liner, combined with over-spray I passed on that route. I do tend
> to haul a fair amount of sporting equipment around (summer baseball,
> winter hockey) for an entire team, which usually gets thrown over the
> rail and basically 'dropped' into the box. The box-liner does absorb
> most of the impact, and I've yet to dent anything on the truck. The
> box-liner works for me, I haven't seen any rubber rugs/mats, so I'm
> unfamiliar with them. If you take care of it, I don't think there is
> anything wrong with a boxliner.
>
> Pat Buthmann

I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't yet had a chance to jump in
here. I got a Rhino spray-in liner a couple of months ago and had no
overspray problems whatsoever. Actually, when I went out to get in the
truck, the guy who did the application was still examining it for
overspray. He did notice some surface rust spots that I previously
hadn't.

As far as the price goes, I look at it as an investment. If I can spend
an extra $200 and help protect my $15,000 truck I think it's a pretty good
deal. The previous owner was none too kind to the paint in the bed, and
it would have had to be re-painted anyway.

The only disappointment was that it wasn't quite as smooth and even as the
pictures in the magazine led me to believe. But I found out from talking
to them that their particular franchise had just opened recently.
Probably why they sent me the $50 coupon. It is fully warranteed, and
it's not like there are big gaping blank spots or anything. But it did
drip a little bit from the rails onto the top of the wheel wells. Plus
they plugged the water drain holes in the front.

All in all, I'm very happy with mine. YMMV of course.

  -- Jason Bleazard
     drazaelb@xmission.com

     Psi Corps is your friend. Trust Psi Corps.