Re: Wheel spin

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Wed Jun 04 1997 - 18:39:51 EDT

At 09:48 AM 6/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Ok, I have been thinking about this for a while. When I got my Dakota, it
>was the last V8 short bed around. I had to settle for 3.55 rear with no
>sure grip. Now I want the traction. How hard is it to swap in the sure
>grip unit. I'm not a professional mechanic, but if it isn't to bad, I will
>give it a try.
>
>If I decide to let someone else do this job, what is a reasonable price?
>Does all the bearings have to be replaced too? Would it be smart to
>upgrade to a 3.90 or a 4.10 gear if I already have it torn down?
>
>I haven't really 100% decided this project as a go. I'm worried about
>messing up the remainder of my warr. if I don't have a Chrysler Dealer do
>the job. How about some input? Thanks!!!
>
>(By the way, is the speedo gear driven like the old 727? I haven't looked
>that close yet.)
              [ ] Rob Robinson [ ]
> [==] 1996 Dodge Dakota Sport [==]
> [ ] 318 Short Bed Standard Cab [ ]

You might want to look into a Lock Right locker. Installs with hand tools
without removin' the ring and pinion. They run around $300. Summit Racin'
has 'em.

A pumpkin swap is a tricky deal. Sumthin' you'd probably want to have a
pro do. Whole thing could end up costin' $500 by time yer done.

Just my 0.02.