Re: Meldrum filter

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Wed Jun 04 1997 - 18:53:54 EDT

At 05:54 PM 6/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I understand the need for air. The part I don't get is why the open-air
>filter
>makes more horse power than the 'induction' type stock filter. Air
>comes in
>through the intake at the grille, up the tube and into the filter. I
>assume
>if you're going faster, more air gets in (more force?). If you have an
>open-air filter, how is there more force of air going into the filter?
>I understand a
>ram air - more force and more air. The open-air filter just seems like
>more air
>with a lot less force.

It's not all just the fact that it's an open element. A good deal of it
is the increase in filtered surface area. Approx. 70 sq. in. with the 10"
compared to 60 with the stock panel filter. If you were to install a
second box and duct it to the air hat you *might* see a similar increase
but I doubt it.

You're losing some of the "forced" air from the duct but the open element
simply allows the engine to breath easier. Ever go snorkeling? Easier to
breath without the snorkel and your mouth wide open, right? Same type of
thing.

Ultimately you want to combine the free breathing of an open element air
cleaner with the forced induction effect of a ram-air. Check out pic's of
Kuk's truck on the DML web page for a good example.

News flash........if ya liked "Fresh air by Meldrum" wait till ya see my
next release.....coming soon......