RE: 98 Dak "ordered"

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 09:27:47 EDT

At 12:09 AM 6/5/97 -0600, Pat Buthmann wrote:
>I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the V6, though at
175 HP, it is significantly less powerful than the V8 (230). As well,
should you ever decide to sell your truck, the V8 (being in high demand,
and rare among compact trucks) would probably garner you a higher resale
value than the V6. For me, it was purely a question of V8 or nothing. I
find it rather odd that so few trucks are available. When I bought mine,
there were 5 on the lot, all CC, all 4x4, 4 V8s and 1 V6, 3 Black, 1 Red
and 1 White. All Sports, though there were various combinations of trim
levels, A/C, Cruise, Tilt, Buckets, split bench etc. This was just one of
ten different Chrylser dealerships in the city.

   I think the v6 is basically the same engine as the 8, but with two
cylinders chopped off. I haven't heard anything bad about it, as far
as I know, it is a good engine, but my situation was the same as Pat;
The Dakota came with a v8, it is the only truck in its class with a
v8, my course seemed clear. :) (Arrh arrrh arrh!!) Plus, adding the
V8 was under $600. That's chicken feed when you're about to drop about
$20,000 on the thing! At first, gas mileage was a concern, but I
figured that the difference between the 6 and the 8 wasn't a big enough
deal to worry about. (As it turns out, some people with v8's are
actually getting better gas mileage than people with 6's. Especially
when towing enters the eqation.) However, because of my driving
habits, I'm not one of 'em. ;)

  As Pat said, they do seem to be rare. I went to several dealerships
looking for a used v8 originally. I found a couple finally, but my
other criteria (had to be a stick) ruled them out. Good luck finding
one of those sitting on a lot!! :P

   When my windshield got hit by a rock and I had to get the windshield
replaced, the windshield installer used to be a Dodge dealer in Canada.
While he was installing the windshield, he saw the stick and the 8 and
said "You ordered this truck, didn't you?" :) Yep.

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.