Re: 97 Daks and CB radios

From: Steve Lowe (Slow@Primenet.Com)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 15:13:35 EDT

On Thu, 05 Jun 1997 20:28:27 -0500, you wrote:

>having been into CB's for a long time i can tell you the cell phone look
>alikes are good if you want to transmit to someone right next to you and
>that's about it

That's what I was afraid of. I need range to transmit in the hills.

>..on one of my trucks (94) i have 2 5 foot fiberglass
>whips mounted on the bed right behind the cab...i too did not want to
>put one on my roof (for cosmetic reasons though)

Will not drill holes in the roof and a magnet mount is out due to the
overhead console with the compass....

>you need to get
>Co-phase coax if you want to run that way..

Which way? On the roof I assume you are talking about...

>DO NOT TRY TO MAKE YOUR
>OWN!!! it will not work then....i did make one hole in the cab on the
>back wall to run the coax into the cab...but i used a roofing tar around
>the hole to seal it....

Ok I might try this...Find some kind or make a bracket to clamp on the
front wall of the bed (right below the rear window)and go with a
Firestick or K40 anntenna, (I hear Wilson is the best?) and run the
cable down between the cab and bed, under the truck, and run it in one
of the factory holes in the floor that are currently covered with a
small metal cover (there are a couple of those in there), then to the
radio.

3 years later not so much as a scimp of rust and
>no leaks....i have a uniden PC-76XL that i want to get rid of but it is
>bigger than a compact and a little "tweeked". so if you are worried
>about FCC this is not the radio for you....

Rather be legal, less worries...this radio is mainly going to be used
on trail rides with my club, just to talk to each other...

Thanks for your reply...

        Steve

97' Dakota Sport Plus, 4X4, 5 speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes
Gibson Cat-Back...
Home Page at http://www.primenet.com/~slow