Re: 97 Daks and CB radios

From: Russell Blahetka (russblahetka@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 21:28:27 EDT

Steve Lowe wrote:

> Fellas,
>
> Any ideas on installing a CB in the trucks? Since I have the
> stick and full console, it makes it a little harder. I am currently
> leaning towards a Cobra compact that will mount under the drivers seat
> with all the controls on the mike itself. Got to have room in the
> console for the CD changer...
>
> Antennas. What to do? I know the best would be on the roof,
> but that is out of the question. I will not drill holes in the truck,
> and up on the roof would get caught up in the trees on the trail. Have
> any of you used the adapter that uses your AM/FM antenna for CB? How
> about the Cell-phone looking deal through the rear-window? Please fire
> away....
>
> Steve
>
> 97' Dakota Sport Plus, 4X4, 5 speed, all the goodies 'cept anti-lock brakes
> Gibson Cat-Back...
> Home Page at http://www.primenet.com/~slow
having been into CB's for a long time i can tell you the cell phone look
alikes are good if you want to transmit to someone right next to you and
that's about it...on one of my trucks (94) i have 2 5 foot fiberglass
whips mounted on the bed right behind the cab...i too did not want to
put one on my roof (for cosmetic reasons though) you need to get
Co-phase coax if you want to run that way...DO NOT TRY TO MAKE YOUR
OWN!!! it will not work then....i did make one hole in the cab on the
back wall to run the coax into the cab...but i used a roofing tar around
the hole to seal it....3 years later not so much as a scimp of rust and
no leaks....i have a uniden PC-76XL that i want to get rid of but it is
bigger than a compact and a little "tweeked". so if you are worried
about FCC this is not the radio for you....but i have had several
unidens and cobras...(cobra is the same thing as a uniden...cobra boards
say uniden on the) and they have aways been good to me...but anyway with
the 2 whips side by side i usually got a good 20 mile radios....the best
thing that helps too is if you have a power mike....modualtion is key
and stock mikes (unless you have the modulation "clipped" in the radio)
just plain suck...at any rate...stay away from any cobra that has the
word PLUS on it...you can't do a damn thing to them and they are pretty
much useless....anyway that is my 2 cents

Russ

*Happiness is driving an A$$ kicking Mopar =)*
*          http://www.earthlink.net          *