Re: Superchargers. Was: Re: More latenight cruisin'

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Sat Jun 07 1997 - 20:37:10 EDT

At 03:02 PM 6/7/97 -0400, you wrote:

> Yeah, there's a serious Arrh factor there. :) I think I prefer
>the type with the 3 holes and the red covers which are actuated by
>the throttle. Arrh! Arrh!! :) That doesn't have the more subtle
>statement of power that a 70's mopar hood scoop does though... Keeps
>you wondering wether its just a ram-air or full fledged un-natural
>aspiration. Arrh! arrh! arrh!
>
> (Oops, I think I used my daily quota of Arrhs.)

        Actually, if you check in Jegs in the "chrome & fasteners" section they
have a "Street Scoop" that has the butterflies that work with the throttle
linkage. It's essentially an air cleaner housing. Hmmmm......"Fresh Air
by Meldrum" model 2 maybe? Now *that* thing is a "super sucker" Andy!! ;^)

>>The cost for the Vortech's, Paxton's, ATI's, whatever is prohibitive in my
>>opinion though. Being the type that would feel comfortable doing a full
>>engine swap the $3k could be spent on motor givin' ya the same, or better,
>>results.
>
> Hmmmm....
>
> I had resigned myself to the idea that, if I ever wanted a supercharger,
>I'd have to fork out over 3 grand on it. Some day, I *would* like to
>have a supercharger, but that price is awful. Are the roots types cheaper?
>For my purposes, a roots type would probably generate enough pressure. Its
>not like I need every little PSI like the drag racers; this is a daily
>driver.

        Roots blowers are usually cheaper. A B&M 144 blower for a small block
Chevy would probably run $1200. Don't get me wrong on the boost.......a
roots blower can still create some serious psi. You'd probably only want
like 6-9 psi for a street driven truck.

> I had assumed, due to the OBDII crap, fuel injected, etc, that
>a centrifugal supercharger was the only option. Can a roots type be
>installed on my Dak??? I would LOVE to have one of those puppies sticking
>through my hood! Someone please give me some info!! :)

        If ya didn't go crazy with it a roots blower would be just as happy with
the OBD as a centrifugal.
The limiting factor for an installation on a Dak would be the intake
manifold for the blower. I'm quite sure there is nothing readily available
on the market for the Magnum headed small block Mopar. How fast ya go is
always based on what ya want to spend though. If ya *really* wanted to do
it you could make it work.

> If a roots type could be installed, how much money are we talking?
>Less than a centrifugal, I immagine, but how much less? Can it be
>done for $1,000? (That would be awesome.) :) $2,000? Pricey,
>but still better than $3500.
>
> Please, feed me some info!! :)
> -Jon-

With the currently available products a roots type installation would
probably still be pricey. If you were willing to switch to the older style
'A' block heads you'd have a much easier time of it.

When it comes to a dollar/hp breakdown your money would probably be better
spent having a motor built by a reputable shop. Better yet, a little blue
bottle under the tonneau can get ya 125hp at the touch of a button and is
*way* cheaper. Plus it's only there when you need it to be. Very stealth.

  sean meldrum