Superchargers. Was: Re: More latenight cruisin'

From: Jon Steiger (steiger@ait.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 07 1997 - 15:02:20 EDT

At 09:30 PM 6/6/97 -0400, Sean Meldrum wrote:

>> I stand corrected. ;)
>>
>> Now, I'm not sure, but.... I think I read somewhere that the
>>centrifugal superchargers develop more power than the old roots system.
>>If so, you may be guilty of premature Arrrh'ing. :)
>>

>Uhhh, uhhh, I Arrrh just fine. ;^)
>
>That could be the case. The centrifugal supercharger is really an
>efficient little shit. They're havin' no problems pullin' 20+ psi out of
>those things. Sumthin' about that big, whinin', polished lung stickin'
>thru the hood just makes me Arrrh though.

   Yeah, there's a serious Arrh factor there. :) I think I prefer
the type with the 3 holes and the red covers which are actuated by
the throttle. Arrh! Arrh!! :) That doesn't have the more subtle
statement of power that a 70's mopar hood scoop does though... Keeps
you wondering wether its just a ram-air or full fledged un-natural
aspiration. Arrh! arrh! arrh!

  (Oops, I think I used my daily quota of Arrhs.)

>The cost for the Vortech's, Paxton's, ATI's, whatever is prohibitive in my
>opinion though. Being the type that would feel comfortable doing a full
>engine swap the $3k could be spent on motor givin' ya the same, or better,
>results.
>
>I suppose there is sumthin' to be said for a 40% hp increase that you can
>bolt on in an afternoon though.

     Hmmmm....

   I had resigned myself to the idea that, if I ever wanted a supercharger,
I'd have to fork out over 3 grand on it. Some day, I *would* like to
have a supercharger, but that price is awful. Are the roots types cheaper?
For my purposes, a roots type would probably generate enough pressure. Its
not like I need every little PSI like the drag racers; this is a daily
driver.

    I had assumed, due to the OBDII crap, fuel injected, etc, that
a centrifugal supercharger was the only option. Can a roots type be
installed on my Dak??? I would LOVE to have one of those puppies sticking
through my hood! Someone please give me some info!! :)

   If a roots type could be installed, how much money are we talking?
Less than a centrifugal, I immagine, but how much less? Can it be
done for $1,000? (That would be awesome.) :) $2,000? Pricey,
but still better than $3500.

   Please, feed me some info!! :)

                                              -Jon-

    Jon Steiger - Network Administrator for Academic Information Technology
    .- steiger@ait.fredonia.edu -- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ -.
    | DoD# 1038, EAA# 518210, NMA# 117376, USUA# A46209, KotWitDoDFAQ |
    | '96 Dodge Dakota SLT V8, '96 Kolb FireFly 447, '91 Yamaha FZR600R |
     I do not speak for SUNY College at Fredonia; any opinions are my own.