RE: Superchargers. Was: Re: More latenight cruisin'

From: Pat Buthmann (patb@mindless.com)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 00:11:25 EDT

Actually, turbos that are properly used (pure power) are very often used in big block engines, that provide most of their own low-end torque, and the turbo aids the high speed breathing. Examples of this would be the new Lotus Esprit V8 Turbo, the old 4.9L Cheby (301 cu) Turbo in the FireChicken/TA, most F1 racing engines and such. They provide high end HP, and let the normally aspirated engine dole out the low-end torque to get you going. The whole problem with turbo and supercharging is the vast amount of additional accessories you must add to optimize them, a lot of work has to go into wastegates, intake, compression etc to get the most out of them. Nitrous is usually a fairly straight forward bolt on.

Pat Buthmann