Re: Superchargers. Was: Re: More latenight cruisin'

From: WillTier@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 00:27:07 EDT

<< Darn, I can't win. :)

    You're right, there would be some extra items involved which
 would push the price of a supercharger up. Nitrous is available for
 the '96's, but it costs about $1,000. I'd be interested in that article
 you mentioned... From what I've read, supercharging seems to be the
 safer of the two methods. It seemed to me that it was a lot easier
 to screw up your engine with nitrous.

     Maybe I have an incorrect view of nitrous, but it has always seemed
 to me that the applications for nitrous and a supercharger were different.
 Nitrous has always seemed to be for a short burst of power whereas a
 supercharger is always there; a part of the engine... I want horsepower
 that is always there; for any duration, at any speed. Maybe nitrous
 can do that, I don't know enough about it.

    I'm not sure if nitrous would work for me... If it would, it
 is certainally cheaper than a supercharger. Initially, anyway...
 Refilling those bottles sounds expensive! I'd guess $25 apiece?
 For the $2,000 difference, you could refill 80 times. Anything
 after that, and the money you've spent could have been a supercharger
 which costs nothing after initial installation...
 How much mileage do you get out of a bottle? Is there a storage time
 limit? (does it "go bad"?) Another issue is where to put the bottle...

    I'm not ruling out nitrous... I'd definitely prefer a supercharger,
 but maybe I just don't know enough about it; maybe nitrous would be a
 better choice. Any info anyone could provide would be great! :)

Jon

Nitrous is a short burst type deal pretty much just for drag racing. I was a
little scared also but as I said I reasearched both setups for quite a while.
The NOS was the best route for me and from all I've read they are safe as
long as you follow directions and install and use it properly. There is a WOT
switch, it does not work only at WOT and with the stock computer unless you
have a reatrd device.

The vehicles that come with Super chargers are all set up for them and
include and incorporated any necessities into them, where as a add on needs
to have add on items to try to get it to work properly and there is a L o t
more work to put on a super charger than NOS. Also look in Jules catalog at
all the extra Items available and pretty much necessary for the
Superchargers.

I will look up a article or 2 and forward them to you, may take me a little
while but I'll do my best.

Bill