Re: Gibson Cat-back Exhaust.....

From: Sean Meldrum (spm@c3net.net)
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 22:59:32 EDT

At 06:56 AM 6/10/97 -500, you wrote:
>Phil Hyde wrote on 09-Jun-97 22:26:51
>
>>Has anyone on the list done a custom dual setup with hi-flo cats? It
>>can be done, and sounds like it would produce maybe 50hp?
>
>In FantasyLand, maybe.
>
>>A simliar comparison is the car I used to drive - Ford Taurus SHO.
>>The factory came up with a 3.0L DOHC V6 that produced 300hp in
>>stock trim. Then, they had to choke the hell out of it to get
>>it down to 220hp so they could put a cheap transaxle under it.
>>You can get an easy 30-40hp with a custom exhaust on one of
>>those cars. Well, enough about that......
>
>Oh, Lord, I've heard it all now! A Ferd with a 3.0 Yamaha making
>300 HP stock? Yea, and I gotta a bridge I'd like to sell you. They
>didn't "choke the hell out it." They lowered the REDLINE so that
>the accessories wouldn't fail. According to Ford and Yamaha
>engineers, the engine was good to 8000 RPM, but the accessories
>wouldn't hold up.
>

>-Carl
>

> I'm not being a jerk on purpose; I just can't help myself. It's
> fun razzin' you guys... please don't get too upset. All in fun.

I know it's late and this has gone around a bit already but I thought I'd
add a little info.

Carl, I understand your doubt on the before mentioned mod. I can't
remember what year Camaro you have but I've driven a few and they flat haul
even in stock trim. The info I wanted to add, and you may be aware of
this, is that the "factory choke" that was mentioned in regards to the SHO
motor was in a similar way performed on the 4th Gen. F-bodies. Before
public release there were quite a few around the Warren, MI GM Tech Center
where I was working at the time. The first F-bodies were so damn fast
they were whoopin' butt on the 'Vette. Corporate politics would never
allow this to be so they proceeds to "choke" and tweek the motor and its
systems to bring it down to a "politically correct" position in the vehicle
hierarchy (sp?). You can, I'm sure, attest to how well the new F-Bodies
respond to some simple modifications.

What I'm boiling down to is this: The stock exhaust system on a '97
Dakota consists of cast iron exhaust manifolds, a 1 3/4" Y-pipe (at least
they eliminated the "crimp"), funneled into a 2 1/2" cat, and then a 2
1/2" exhaust and muffler. There is no way that this system is anywhere
near optimal for performance. I could see a *huge* improvement by
installing a properly sized exhuast for the power level of the motor.
Hell, even Fox body Mustangs (at almost identical power levels) came with
larger, full dual exhaust. A full 2 1/2" exhaust, dual cats and mufflers
just *might* find 50 hp in that Magnum motor. I'm not sayin' its a
guarantee, but I certainly can't say its impossible. If you were to throw
headers into the mix you'd be there for sure.

I agree with you on the one point.......the only way to know is to dyno the
mod. Now if I could only find a chassis dyno 'round here......;^)

Just my 0.02. Soap box mode off.

  sean meldrum