RE: Brake Question

From: Pat Buthmann (patb@mindless.com)
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 03:15:22 EDT

I'll say one thing about this though. Brakes are MUCH cheaper to replace than a clutch. Though you may save some brake wear and tear, the clutch wear and tear may vastly exceed the savings you get.

Pat Buthmann

        From owning an automatic, and now a 5 speed, and observing other
people's post re: brake wear, I have detemined that a 5 speed will wear
the brakes less than an automatic, and give longer brake life. Why? Well
with an auto. when you are decelerating you are actually running against
the engine as well as momentum... With a 5 speed, you either use the
engine to assist in slowing the truck (down shifting, or engine braking),
or
you brake with the clutch pushed in (coasting), and only brake against the
momentum of the truck...

        I just did a front end brake job, with brake pads at 25%, and had
the rotors turned... The rears still had 75% pad life, and no real wear on
the drums... This was at 65000 miles.

        Sam '95 SLT