Re: dakota headers and Y-pipes

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 11:50:23 EDT

Sean P Meldrum wrote:

> >Home brew Y-pipes are not smog legal in CA, and probably not anywhere
> >else. Any mods in front of the converter have to be EPA/CARB approved to
> >be legal.
>
> Outside of California, so long as all your emissions equipment is
> in place and the cat or cats are in place it should be completely legal.
> No different than having a rotted exhaust replaced. Only difference
> being larger pipe (again, this is outside of California's strict
> emissions laws). Maybe I'm lucky here in Michigan. No emissions tests
> at all. I could just pull the cat altogether if it wasnt' for the #2 O2
> sensor.

Well this is what I've been wondering all along. As long as the O2
sensor
and cat are in place and functioning, who's going to notice? The
dealer,
maybe.

So what's the hurdle? Getting a shop to touch it? Maybe if I take it
off myself and get someone to "fab" a replacement?

The only other question I have is can the cat handle the extra flow?
Maybe
that's why the primaries are so small to begin with.....

Phil
'97 Dakota
'67 Charger