Newbie Introduction - HELP!

From: Richard Brown (Richard.Brown@MCI.Com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 1997 - 13:30:18 EDT

All,

This is my first post to this list, after hearing about it via the MML. I
purchased my Dakota "Sport" 2.5 litre new in '92, and plan on keeping the
truck until either it dies or I do. (I like the lack of a car payment!) ;-)

It's your basic short bed, bench seat, truck. 2 months after buying it, I
had an aftermarket A/C unit installed which works great due to still using
REAL freon. It's used as my commuter, and I just hit 60,000 miles
YESTERDAY!

So far, I've endured:

   (1) A cracked cylinder head, most likely due to overheating
       when the radiator leaked. That "plastic" top tank decided
       to seperate from the rest of the unit... I replaced the
       radiator, THEN brought the poor running truck to the dealer.

       All work was covered under the 7/70k warranty.

   (2) The truck is "electric blue", and began suffering from PEELING
       PAINT at 55,000 miles. Both the roof and hood were affected.
       Complained heavily to the dealer and shopped around for my own
       estimates. The factory rep authorized $400 to cover "their share",
       so I found a place which did a great job of removing and
       painting the hood and roof, matching with the existing paint
       extremely well, for $530. Gave the invoice to the dealer, and
       received a check after about 4 weeks.

       Not happy that it peeled, but glad that its resolved.

Only one annoying problem remains that has yet to be resolved. THE COOLANT
TEMPERATURE! Here's the scenario: If I drive my truck around normally,
the Temp gauge will rise eventually to 1/3 and remain there.

However, if I turn on the A/C... the gauge acts crazy. It begins a steady
swing PAST the "H", and then moves back down to normal while I'm watching
it. This all takes place over 5 to 8 seconds, and will repeat this cycle
every 30 seconds to one minute. Sometimes it stays high (though still to
the left of the "H") and then drops again.

These activities occur while at a constant speed on the freeway! At idle
in the garage, both electric fans kick on the minute the A/C is activated,
and although the temp creeps up, it never swings like when I'm "driving"
around town.

Any hints? I've used "Water Wetter", just to note the difference. Now
during non-A/C use the temp stays lower, but the same wild antics still
occur when the A/C is turned on.

Anybody ever experience this?

Thanks!

 Richard Brown Antelope, Calif.
 '70 \6 Challenger Conv. (440 6pak R/T clone in progress)
 '92 Dakota 2.5L (Great gas mileage, no power )