Re: U-Haul Sucks, part ii

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 1997 - 14:01:52 EDT

> I'm only moving my computer, clothes, books and some other assorted
stuff.
> No furniture to speak of. So I've decided to just rent one of their 8'
> enclosed trailers to pull behind the Dak. Again they didn't bother
asking
> what kind of vehicle I had. Something tells me the pepole at the Orem
> Utah U-Haul office are not exactly on the cutting edge. When I was
> calling earlier for price quotes, I had some technical questions about
the
> trailers (like the exact dimensions and size of hitch ball they used),
and
> the girl I was talking to just told me that I had to call the Provo
office
> to get answers to those confusing hard questions.

        You'll be okay renting one of their 8'x6' trailers... Even with the
stock bumper. If you want to go bigger you will be into a 8'x12'.... Dual
axles, with surge brakes (on the tongue). Make sure you have a class III
hitch, and tell them you are moving 'something light'. When I rented one
here locally they gave me a hard time... I told them I was moving 'house
plants' that couldn't be exposed to the wind of an open (lighter) trailer'.
 The
8x12' is a beast...and very heavy (even when empty). The standard 8'
trailer
is ok, and I got a new one on a recent move that I did for a friend-- we
put
two jet skis inside, his bed, clothes, boxes, etc... in one trip... It has
no
brakes, so keep that in mind if you get heavily loaded.

        Sam '95 U-Haul expert! (yeah right...)