RE: U-Haul turns into "Not-4-U-Haul"

From: Robert F Weingart (rweingart@attmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 11:02:12 EDT

Scott-
        A couple of years ago I rented the same type of trailer from U-Haul and
pulled it with my '89 Dak (3.9 V6 w/ 3.55 gears & trans cooler). The guy at
U-Haul never asked what I was pulling or with what. He only asked what type
of hitch I had, which is a Drawtite Class III. I pulled my '69 Dart (about
2800 lbs) about 600 miles, with not too much trouble. The only noticeable
problem was starting off, due to the immense tong weight of that trailer. The
trailer has surge brakes, which are powered by a huge hydraulic ram on the
tong. The next time I pulled the trailer I had installed load/helper springs,
which helped a lot. I never felt unsafe or encountered any problems
mechanically (it was 74K miles ago) In short, if my old pre-magnum can do it,
yours can. Just go to another dealer and tell them you have a Ram, the guy
behind the counter probably would not know the difference.

Rob Weingart (89 Dak LE 4x4, 175K miles)