Re: '97 AutoTrans Attn: Sean Meldurm

From: Phil Hyde (philh@insync.net)
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 23:00:12 EDT

DRD892@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks for the compliments on my new Transmissions drivability. I am
> really enjoying it. Yes, I have converted to "Fresh Air by Meldrum". Went
> to visit the Ramchargers Toy Store on Saturday. Pickup the new 10"
> Chrome Air Cleaner and the K&N Filter plus the new GTS smoked headlight
> covers and the RAM taillight inserts. I installed the AirFilter and K&N
> using
> the original bracket and a shortened threaded rod. It works, but I would
> much rather have the "S" rod and discard the bracket. Damn, it was hot
> working on that thing on Saturday. Must have been 150 degrees under
> that hood. Learned to use some new words.
> If you got a "S" rod that will work, give me a shout. By the way, the
> performance
> increase is something you can really feel and a better idle also.

Actually, I think there is a sizable increase from removing the "horn"
on the intake of the airbox. I had origianlly purchased the 10" open
element air cleaner and K&N filter, and after installing it I really
didn't reap the benefits. I rarely open my truck up (since it still
has less than 2000 miles on it) and the new filter provides for some
annoying hissing noises that I got tired of listening to. Off-idle
response was a little better.

So, after removing the K&N setup, I reinstalled the factory "tube"
still using the S-bar and removed the "horn" on the airbox. I
think throttle response is still as good as it was with the
K&N, and removing the "horn" gives the intake a deep throaty
sound when you gun it.

For all-out HP, the open-element filter is probably better, but an
even more "el cheapo" mod is to remove the "horn" and install an
S-bar. I think the factory bracket is restricitive to the
venturis. FYI, I fabricated the S-bar out if 1/4"-20 ALLTHREAD
available at any hardware store.

cheers,

--
Phil Hyde - Houston, TX.