Re: FIPK (FreshAir by Meldrum) Attn: Phil Hyde

From: Rob Robinson (u4d6r6mh@coastalnet.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 1997 - 23:36:19 EDT

>Rob L Cobb wrote:
>>
>> What did you guys do about the tub that runs from the air cleaner
>> assembly to the breather? Did you leave it hooked up, or did you just
>> plug up the tube? I put the 10" chrome assembly on my truck about 2
>> weeks ago, and I like it, but I had to do a bunch of messing around with
>> the tube from the breather to get it to hook up right. And now if I back
>> the wing nut off ANY at all, the whole assembly scoots around because of
>> the tension on it from the breather tube (it came off so easy the first
>> could of times I had to put a zip-tie around the tube where it connects
>> to the air cleaner assembly (hasn't come off yet . . .knock on wood).
>> Anyway, what did you guys do???
>
>Actually, I cut off the plastic tube and was able to use the short
>factory lengths of hose to hook up to the breather and air cleaner
>(my air cleaner had a tube on the bottom).
>
>When I re-installed the factory assembly, I just bought some heater hose
>and ran it to the breather. I think I used 1/2" which was perfect for
>the
>air cleaner part, but a little small for the breather (it went on
>though).
>
>that's all folks,
>--
>Phil Hyde - Houston, TX.
>work - ephy@ngccorp.com (M-F 8-5)
>play - philh@insync.net
>www - http://www.insync.net/~philh (new and improved!)

I took the factory grommet and the factory black plastic elbow and fit it
in the whole on the base of the aircleaner. Turn it just a little and it
fits around just fine. Didn't use the adapter that came with the filter.

Oh, here are some performance numbers on the Air by Meldrum filter system.
I just got back from the local 1/8 mile track. Tonight was test and tune
and the first time running the open system.

With my Rhino performance muffler with duals and nothing else (remember I
do not have a sure-grip with my 3.55 gears) my best 1/8 mile time was 10.00
at 71 mph. With the filter charger I get more tire spin (boy do I need
traction) and my best time has dropped to 9.90 at 71.8 mph. I learned to
roll just slightly before nailing the throttle to try to get some better
traction. Power brake it and it won't drop below a 10.00 time. It was
also much more humid tonight (around 80% at 80 degrees), so I expect a
little better in cooler weather.

RESULT- MORE POWER!!!

Has any gotten any 1/8 mile timeslips I can compare? Didn't know if I was
running a good time for a stock Dakota or not.

Rob Robinson
1996 Dodge Dakota Sport
318-3.55
Meldrum air-14"