Re: FIPK (FreshAir by Meldrum) Attn: Phil Hyde

From: Sam Parthemer (samp@cts.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 11:03:21 EDT

> I took the factory grommet and the factory black plastic elbow and fit it
> in the whole on the base of the aircleaner. Turn it just a little and it
> fits around just fine. Didn't use the adapter that came with the filter.
>

> Oh, here are some performance numbers on the Air by Meldrum filter
system.
> I just got back from the local 1/8 mile track. Tonight was test and tune
> and the first time running the open system.
>

> With my Rhino performance muffler with duals and nothing else (remember I
> do not have a sure-grip with my 3.55 gears) my best 1/8 mile time was
10.00
> at 71 mph. With the filter charger I get more tire spin (boy do I need
> traction) and my best time has dropped to 9.90 at 71.8 mph. I learned to
> roll just slightly before nailing the throttle to try to get some better
> traction. Power brake it and it won't drop below a 10.00 time. It was
> also much more humid tonight (around 80% at 80 degrees), so I expect a
> little better in cooler weather.
>
> RESULT- MORE POWER!!!
>
> Has any gotten any 1/8 mile timeslips I can compare? Didn't know if I
was
> running a good time for a stock Dakota or not.
>

> Rob Robinson
> 1996 Dodge Dakota Sport
> 318-3.55
> Meldrum air-14"
> Rhino muffler-dual exit

        What's your 1/4 mi times and speeds? My 1/8th mi have been around
72 mph @ 9.9, 9.8... With my 1/4 mi times @ 15.4-15.6, 89-90.5 mph
consistently.
My reaction times stink (1.04-8.8 average, with a best of .617 --a fluke!).
 I shift to
4th gear right before the 1/8th mi, so I lose a bit of acceleration at that
point, but
make up 18 mph on the tall end (it begins to REALLY pull right before the
lights...
darn). I ran with 215-75-15 BFG A'Ts, and then again with Qualifier-clones
255-60-15..
Only difference was better traction off the line, but nearly identical
times. My average
time was .2-.4 seconds faster though.

        Sam '95 SLT