Speaker placement question

From: Jack Snodgrass (dakota@cybermail.net)
Date: Sat Jun 28 1997 - 18:29:46 EDT

   I was looking at the Aug 97 issue of 'Sport Truck' magazine. They had an
article about putting in a kenwood stereo in to a 97 dakota. They custom
made some fiberglass kicker panels to replace the stock kicker panels and
placed some speakers in front of the door speakers, under the dash.

    I don't have any fiberglass experience, so I was thinking about buying
a replacement set of kicker panels to experiment with. I spent about 20
minutes at the dodge parts counter and the guy helping me couldn't locate
the panels. I finally gave up and said I'd just call back later and see
if they could figure it out. Has anyone else looked at this area for
speakers?

    As for the stock speaker location.... I couldn't figure out how to get
the speaker grills off ( remember... I have a 97 dakota ). I think that
I've decided that the speaker grills are part of the door panels and I'd
have to remove the entire door panel to see what's back there. Can someone
confirm this? I think that the same thing is true for the rear speakers in
the club cab area. The grill over those speakers looks like it's part of
the wall panel. If the grill is part of the wall panel... how easy is it
to remove the wall panel?

    If I do have to remove the door panels... how do they come off? I have
power windows and locks. Do I just remove the visible screws in the door
panel? Is there any 'gotchas' because of the power windows and door locks?

    Lastly... the piece of molding between the front windshield and the
door looks like it might pop off. Could some surface mount tweeters be
placed on each of these pillars and the wires run behind the moldings?
I hate to start pulling things apart if I don't know that I can get them
back together again.

    Thanks.